Monday, October 30, 2006

Sunday - Peace and Tranquility

It was a bright and beautiful Sunday morning. I camped out on the couch last night because I felt like it. Haha. I think the couch only feels nice when I'm pulling all-nighters. Not really all that nice when I'm sleeping there for the fun of it.

Spoke to sister and mom for quite sometime and saw dad too. Glad to have had the chance to talk to them. Don't worry about me mom and dad. I'm perfectly fine!

When Ming woke up, we decided to head to Great Lakes for dim sum! It wasn't exactly fantastic but it was good enough to satisfy our craving for dim sum for awhile. Asked Manch along. Haha. 小妹妹 you better eat more next time. Not pulling your weight with the 油条.

We went to Meijers to grab some groceries before heading home. Took a short nap and did some work in the afternoon. I went for the hedge fund team meeting, which was really a waste of time at the Tozzi Lab. Probably will learn more exploring the programs and reading the financial news myself. I drove to the meeting because after that, at 5pm, I drove over to Mary Markley Hall, where I was staying last year.

After I stopped my car, I pulled out my camera and set off for the trail into Nichols Arboretum. The place is also more fondly known as The Arb to the students here. It's a wooded area by Huron river, and also next to a very peaceful cemetery. As I strolled into the cool foilage of The Arb, I could feel the wave of peace and quiet that overwhelmed me. The smell of the forest, the colors of fall, the feeling of the earth beneath my feet.

As it was turning dark pretty quickly, I jogged along the path and sprinted along some at times, pausing to take photos of the beautiful scenes that opened up in front of my eyes. I took a slow walk through a large grass patch in the middle of the woods. Cool and tranquil. It really made me calm down alot just closing my eyes and being there.

As I raced against time when the sky turned dark rapidly, I came across this nice view point where I caught the sunset. There were benches at the small platform, just like the other wooden benches spread out throughout the Arb at the most scenic places. Sat there and watched the sun disappear below the horizon. Couldn't help thinking how nice it would be if I could be there with...



I almost forgot to take photos of the spot before I sprinted off for the exit. I finally found the exit from the trail and paced towards my car. One of the most fascinating sights here is when you can see the smoke trail left behind by aeroplanes when they take off into the clear sky.


I headed back to my apartment, covered in sweat; enjoying the cold Michigan evening. Jeff was preparing chicken rice so I showered and helped him to cook the meal. Nothing like a bowl of hot piping Hainanese Chicken Rice after a good workout in the woods.

The week starts again tomorrow. Back to the craziness of school.

At least now I know where to go if I need a place to quieten down...

No comments: