It almost pains me to say this but entering the final weekend here in Ann Arbor makes me wish that time would stop, so that I can linger here for a little longer, and be with my friends and get to see my gal (when she returns) a little more Ann Arbor has certainly grown on me, from the quaint shops lining Kerrytown, to the "happening" Main Street, and the regular hangouts which I walk past on a daily basis on South University, every single place holds so much memories, some happy and some, not so magnificent. But they are all the little pieces that have formed the awesome Michigan Experience which I would not trade up for anything else in the world.
Spent Friday bumming around, walking around campus a little and went to REI's store opening (darn... why did they have to open only when I am leaving Ann Arbor!) to try to get free nalgene water bottles but apparently, people had camped out there overnight for the store opening, so that didn't materialize. Ming and I went for breakfast at Benny's and I went back to REI after to browse the backpacks and interesting stuff they sold there. Ming's dad and sis came over for the weekend, so we went over to his uncle's place at Novi to hang out for a bit and had dinner at Cherry Blossom in Novi. Decent food but after the two huge salmon steaks which I had to finish, I think I'm going to stay off salmon for quite a while. After dinner, we headed back to their house to play Guitar Hero and eat some home-made "Cold-stone" style ice-cream made by Juliana, Ming's cousin. Thanks for an awesome night! Haven't been back to their place since start of sophomore (or junior or I should just call it second) year, when we crashed in their basement upon our arrival in Michigan because our apartments wasn't ready until the following day. Thanks uncle and auntie!
Later that night, headed out to meet up with Mark, Brian and Michelle at Arbor Brewing Company, and we headed over to Vinology, which brought back sweet memories when I saw the same little corner table. Had some port, which was wine with pretty high alcohol content, and it tasted pretty awesome. Smelt kind of pungent with a very strong alcoholic sting, but tasted delicious. Took an early leave around 1am and hurried home to try to squeeze in an opportunity to chat with the gal in Memphis.
Saturday was pretty uneventful. I took out Sadako (probably for the last time) and went to Gallup Park to eat it. It was a beautiful day, with the sun shining (thankfully during lunch hour), and with the ducks quacking, the birds chirping, and the huron river flowing by in front of me, it would have been perfect had I had the desired company. Nonetheless, one of my favorite eating spots in Ann Arbor. A lovely day out. In the evening, decided to grab my last burrito for awhile from Chipotle, my favorite Steak Fajita Burrito. Simply delicious!
With my laptop, trusty Nalgene, iPod and camera, I drove over to the business school as the sun was setting. Standing outside the business school building, it suddenly struck me how much I missed being here already. The executive residence, the flowers and trees blooming in the courtyard, the library where I had spent countless hours of my weekends in, my favorite study rooms in Sam Wyly hall, the classrooms E1310, E1540, E0540, the Tozzi lab and trading room, I missed every single one of them. Taking a slow walk around the building, I paused to take pictures and remember the great times that I've had in the b-school, and how lucky I was to have had the opportunity to pursue my undergraduate degree here. Without my friends around, the business school was oddly quiet and didn't seem the same anymore. It really is the people that make the difference.
After taking numerous pictures, I trudged up the spiral staircase into Sam Wyly hall, entering a study room facing out towards East University and holed myself in for possibly the last time. The feeling of burning a Saturday night in Wyly hall returned and it felt so familiar and comforting. The one place where you could be alone and not feel lonely. As I sat down, plugged in my computer and worked through our Europe travel plans, I felt completely at home and wished that time would pause for me to spend more time there. Had the chance to catch up with Jianwei who is now back home in Singapore, and realized that it has been way too long since I've had the chance to chat with a good friend. Thankfully, also chat with Val for a bit while working on the Europe hostel bookings, and am infinitely thankful for that, as always.
As everyone went offline, and people vacated the business school, I was probably the last person left there as I sat in my study room, listening to my favorite songs and looking out into the streets where drunk kids were shouting and laughing; just like how it always is when we are working on case studies and other kids are partying and getting drunk in the weekends. Finally pulled myself out of the room, turning off the lights and walking out into an empty business school. The lights had shut off automatically, and I walked out into the cold night, for the quiet drive back home.
Boy, do I miss Ann Arbor and my beloved Business School already... and of course, most of all, the girl who is on her way back here. =)
Wilson
4 May 2008
1:00PM
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Spent Friday bumming around, walking around campus a little and went to REI's store opening (darn... why did they have to open only when I am leaving Ann Arbor!) to try to get free nalgene water bottles but apparently, people had camped out there overnight for the store opening, so that didn't materialize. Ming and I went for breakfast at Benny's and I went back to REI after to browse the backpacks and interesting stuff they sold there. Ming's dad and sis came over for the weekend, so we went over to his uncle's place at Novi to hang out for a bit and had dinner at Cherry Blossom in Novi. Decent food but after the two huge salmon steaks which I had to finish, I think I'm going to stay off salmon for quite a while. After dinner, we headed back to their house to play Guitar Hero and eat some home-made "Cold-stone" style ice-cream made by Juliana, Ming's cousin. Thanks for an awesome night! Haven't been back to their place since start of sophomore (or junior or I should just call it second) year, when we crashed in their basement upon our arrival in Michigan because our apartments wasn't ready until the following day. Thanks uncle and auntie!
Later that night, headed out to meet up with Mark, Brian and Michelle at Arbor Brewing Company, and we headed over to Vinology, which brought back sweet memories when I saw the same little corner table. Had some port, which was wine with pretty high alcohol content, and it tasted pretty awesome. Smelt kind of pungent with a very strong alcoholic sting, but tasted delicious. Took an early leave around 1am and hurried home to try to squeeze in an opportunity to chat with the gal in Memphis.
Saturday was pretty uneventful. I took out Sadako (probably for the last time) and went to Gallup Park to eat it. It was a beautiful day, with the sun shining (thankfully during lunch hour), and with the ducks quacking, the birds chirping, and the huron river flowing by in front of me, it would have been perfect had I had the desired company. Nonetheless, one of my favorite eating spots in Ann Arbor. A lovely day out. In the evening, decided to grab my last burrito for awhile from Chipotle, my favorite Steak Fajita Burrito. Simply delicious!
With my laptop, trusty Nalgene, iPod and camera, I drove over to the business school as the sun was setting. Standing outside the business school building, it suddenly struck me how much I missed being here already. The executive residence, the flowers and trees blooming in the courtyard, the library where I had spent countless hours of my weekends in, my favorite study rooms in Sam Wyly hall, the classrooms E1310, E1540, E0540, the Tozzi lab and trading room, I missed every single one of them. Taking a slow walk around the building, I paused to take pictures and remember the great times that I've had in the b-school, and how lucky I was to have had the opportunity to pursue my undergraduate degree here. Without my friends around, the business school was oddly quiet and didn't seem the same anymore. It really is the people that make the difference.
After taking numerous pictures, I trudged up the spiral staircase into Sam Wyly hall, entering a study room facing out towards East University and holed myself in for possibly the last time. The feeling of burning a Saturday night in Wyly hall returned and it felt so familiar and comforting. The one place where you could be alone and not feel lonely. As I sat down, plugged in my computer and worked through our Europe travel plans, I felt completely at home and wished that time would pause for me to spend more time there. Had the chance to catch up with Jianwei who is now back home in Singapore, and realized that it has been way too long since I've had the chance to chat with a good friend. Thankfully, also chat with Val for a bit while working on the Europe hostel bookings, and am infinitely thankful for that, as always.
As everyone went offline, and people vacated the business school, I was probably the last person left there as I sat in my study room, listening to my favorite songs and looking out into the streets where drunk kids were shouting and laughing; just like how it always is when we are working on case studies and other kids are partying and getting drunk in the weekends. Finally pulled myself out of the room, turning off the lights and walking out into an empty business school. The lights had shut off automatically, and I walked out into the cold night, for the quiet drive back home.
Boy, do I miss Ann Arbor and my beloved Business School already... and of course, most of all, the girl who is on her way back here. =)
Wilson
4 May 2008
1:00PM
Ann Arbor, Michigan
No comments:
Post a Comment